For 20 years it has been Friends of the Bay's mission to preserve, protect and restore the ecological integrity and productivity of the Oyster Bay/Cold Spring Harbor estuary and the surrounding watershed.
Welcome to the Oyster Bay Estuary Water Quality website - a key tool in our mission to monitor and protect the Oyster Bay/Cold Spring Harbor estuary and the surrounding watershed.
This site contains a wealth of information on what we are doing, what we have done and what we will be doing in the near future.
Our Monitoring Program:
- Provides high quality data to continue the dissolved oxygen-testing baseline established by Nassau County's Department of Health in 1972.
- Screens for water quality impairments.
- Monitors the estuary in support of the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) for pathogens that has been established for Oyster Bay and Mill Neck Creek.
- Determines long-term water quality trends.
- Documents the effects of water quality improvement programs.
- Educates and involves citizens and public officials about water quality protection.
- Watchdogs activity within the watershed and harbor.
- Assists local, state and federal agencies in harbor management.
To learn more about what and how we monitor click here.
If you would like to become one of our water quality monitoring volunteers, are interested in other ways of assisting in our effort to preserve and protect the waters of the Oyster Bay/Cold Spring Harbor estuary, or want to report an activity that may be threatening the estuary/watershed please give us a call at 516-922-6666.
An in-depth review of the health and state of the watershed.
What exactly is an Estuary?